A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Monday, May 28, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent (The Dry Version)

Years ago I made the liquid version of this recipe and I personally didn’t like the way it cleaned the clothes or smelled. Some people love it and that’s okay. But it kind of turned me off to making my own detergent for awhile. That is until recently.

I came across a dry version of homemade laundry detergent and decided to give it a try. I’ve been using it for about 2 weeks now and I have to say that I really really love it. Really.

My clothes smell fresh and they are definitely clean. Even when I line dry I can still smell the freshness. That mixed in with that lovely outdoor sunshine smell and you’ll be in Heaven.

I had posted the recipe on my FB page and had one reader ask about using it in cold water. I did a test load and although there was one piece of soap residue on one shirt, the rest seemed to have dissolved just fine. So I will leave that totally up to you. I wash most of my clothes in warm and rinse in cold.

The money saved in using this recipe is out of this world since you only use 2 heaping TBS a load.

Here’s the recipe.

3 pounds of Super Washing Soda

2 pounds of Baking Soda

3 pound box of Borax

2 bars of Fels-Napa soup or Kirk's Castile Soap (Shredded)

I don't think there is an exact science. I just kind of eyeballed it.

Mix well in a large container.

Add two heaping tablespoons to each load of laundry.

So you think you’ll give it a try. It honestly took me all of about 5 minutes to make.

Have a lovely day my friends!

4 comments:

  1. I also like the dry version better, I actually made a batch today and you're right, it took about 5 minutes. Love how you can 'eye ball' it! I added some oxyclean and fabric softener crystals too or a little extra! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you use it with front loaders? Just curious...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool my friend! I have friends that have used the liquid version and the dry version - either way saves a ton of money!

    Big is-there-anything-you-can't-make-yourself size hugs to you!! Love you my thrifty friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may try this one since I prefer dry soap. I have been making a liquid one, but this one looks a bit quicker. For the shredded soap I use goat stuff's laundry soap (shredded). Since making my own laundry soap with goat milk soap our towels are coming out a bit softer with each wash.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin