A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A New Cooking Endeavor

Gooseberry Patch logo

Earlier this week I ran an idea past one of the many fabulous people that work for Gooseberry Patch.

I asked her if it would be okay if I started a new series on my blog focusing on converting those already yummy Gooseberry Patch book recipes into a healthier, gluten free version. And you know what she told me? She told me to go for it. Yay!! I love those people.

What does this mean to you? This means I will show you just how easy it is to convert any ol’ down home, Momma’s cookin’, full of fat and calories recipe into a bit of a healthier version. Also, if you happen to own any of the cookbooks that I’m going to list below, you can send me a request for a certain recipe that you’d like to see converted and I will put that at the top of my list to make.

Here’s what I won’t be using in the recipes:

  • cream of “chicken/mushroom/celery” canned soups
  • margarine
  • processed cheese
  • processed sugar
  • White/Wheat Flour
  • etc.

Here’s what I will be using

  • real butter
  • coconut oil
  • real cheese
  • gluten free flours
  • coconut sugar
  • etc.

I am not a dietician and I won’t be going into detail of why I’m using certain ingredients because you can do the research yourself if you’re interested.

But here’s my advice to you if you are just getting started with the whole gluten free thing. READ LABELS! They add gluten to a lot of things. I did my label reading and know what to buy instinctively but I may not list my brand of baking soda etc every time I mention it. I’m leaving that up to you to research.

One note about oatmeal. We don’t use the GF oatmeal because we tolerate the regular just fine. Some people can’t and I advise you to use the gluten free brand if you have severe allergic reactions.

I’m bringing back the term “from scratch”.

And who knows I may do a couple of videos, just for fun!

I hope you’re as excited about this as I am.

Now here’s a list of the cookbooks that I currently have and will be converting recipes from.

Slow Cooking All Year Round

The Christmas Table

Rush-Hour Recipes

Farmhouse Kitchen

Simple Short Cut Recipes

Mom’s Very Best Recipes

Best Ever Cookies

Fresh From the Farmstand

The Harvest Table

101 Hearty Recipes

101 Cozy Casseroles

101 Farmhouse Favorites

101 Easy Everyday Recipes

More to come…..

Make sure you stay in touch to see what fun things are going on.

Feel free to follow me on my Homesteader’s Heart FB page

Twitter or Pinterest.

OXOX,

Kim

 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, just got to tell you how much I love your blog and love you for changing recipes so I/my grands can enjoy them . I liked you on FB and follow you on Pinterest. Thanks for doing this!
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my wife! She's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is will be GREAT :) :) I eat gluten free and I have a few Gooseberry Patch cookbooks, too. Hmm...I'll have to go thru my books and see which recipe to suggest. I look forward to reading these posts :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I think Gooseberry Patch needs to partner with you to create a new cookbook line!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool my friend!! You'll be helping lots of people enjoy recipes they thought they couldn't!

    Big gluten-free-but-not-flavor-free-if-Kim's-involved size hugs to you!! Love ya friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin