A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Simple Doesn’t Always Mean Easy

Simple life

Lying in bed this morning I got to thinking about some of my goals and pursuits. One of them being to live a more “simple” life. (Because I’ve already lived the hectic, fast paced life.) But when I thought about the things we do that I consider “simple”, I realize that simple doesn’t mean easy.

For example, hanging clothes out on a line isn’t as easy as throwing them in the dryer and walking away. (P.S. I don’t hang them out in the Summer because of mosquitoes, humidity and heat and the fact that I’m a baby; and I don’t feel guilty about it. *smile*)

Growing your own food instead of just going to the market is not that easy either. (Yes, I still need to go to the market but I don’t spend as much.)

Raising chickens takes work and dedication.

Putting up food and cooking from scratch takes way more time and effort than just buying something premade or canned. (It’s better for you too.)

Here is the definition of the word simple.

sim·ple

1.easy to understand, deal with, use.

2. not elaborate or artificial.

3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned.

4. unaffected; unassuming; modest.

5. not complicated.

Nowhere does it say easy and that’s okay. There is still joy in this journey and our pursuits.

The fact of the matter is, it’s worth it, it really is. We get so much back from our efforts of simplicity. Things like fresh air and hearing birds sing while hanging clothes, free entertainment given by our silly chickens, the amazement each and every time we get to go out and pick our own vegetables, the joy of my family telling me how much they love what I made for dinner.

I love it, easy or not.

This is simplicity to me. Simplicity may look different to you and that’s okay. Just make sure you find your joy in your journey.

OXOX,

 photo kimw_homesteaders_signature01.png

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post my friend!!! So goo to know that about simplicity!

    Big it-sure-would-be-nice-if-simple-meant-easy-all-the-time-but-then-we-wouldn't-have-a-true-appreciation-for-anything size hugs to you! Love you sweet & simple friend! :)

    I posted a challenge recap, so come and link up your blog again. & you're doing awesome with the challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because it isn't easy, I find I appreciate the "simple" things more, don't you? Great post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin