A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Monday, July 1, 2013

And Then She Bought Some Vodka!

IMG_5960 Yeah that’s right, I bought me some Vodka. Actually the story leading up to this is kind of amusing and I know you want to hear it, so I’ll go ahead and tell it. 

For YEARS, and I mean YEARS, I’ve wanted to make my own Vanilla Extract. I’ve heard people rave about how wonderful it is, but one thing stood between me and making it. Vodka! I just couldn’t bring myself to buy it. I would talk about it but I never did it.

Anyway, fast forward to today. I needed to go to BJ’s so I decided to put on my big girl panties and buy me some vodka while I was there. Cause they’ve got a liquor store there and stuff. Which made it convenient. The fact that it was miles from my house wasn’t to bad either. (Less chance of running into someone.)

Usually when I go to BJ’s my bestest goes with me. This trip was no different except I forgot to tell her of my intent. So as we were making our way across the parking lot I got all excited and announced to her (and probably anyone within ear shot) that I was finally going to buy vodka today.

She just laughed at my excitement because she’s the one that I’ve been talking about this with all these years. AND because she’s my bestest she had to go with me and “hold my hand” sort of speak. She’s good like that.

So I walk in, cool, calm and collected. Immediately the salesman asked if he could help us find anything and I blurted out, “I need some cheap vodka! I’m making vanilla extract!” (Cause he needed to know that). I made my selection and proceeded to check out. Meanwhile he proceeds to tell me all the drinks you can make with vodka. Yeah, ummm,I’m making vanilla extract remember? I’m not sure he believed me but none the less, I now have some vanilla extract brewing in my cabinet.

Here’s the proof! Not that you NEEDED proof but here it is just the same. *smile*

IMG_5963 

I’ll keep you posted on it’s development.

Have you ever made your own vanilla extract and if so how do you like it?

Have a lovely day my friends.

OXOX,

Kim

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha!!!! I figured out where this story was going. Yes, we've been making our own vanilla for several decades! We found out how to do it from an old Southern Living magazine article. It is so much better AND cheaper (way, way cheaper) than store-bought vanilla.

    I told my mom how to make it too, and it took here several years to get the courage to go into a liquor store. And she did the exact same thing that you did, yelling out a confession about how you were going to use it! LOL!

    And yes, the cheaper stuff works just fine for vanilla. I've even used that brand shown in your photo. You should be able to use your beans twice too. The second bath will take longer to steep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am intrigued to try this, I imagine the vanilla extract is delicious. What happens to the vodka when it is done? Ha ha, I just had to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got brave before I did, lol! I'm still not making vanilla extract... for the exact same reason. One day, maybe... :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROFL!!
    I've seen this recipe a few times. Looking forward to how it turns out for you..

    Though I'm wondering... what did you do with all the leftover Vodka.. ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to do that! Let us know how it turns out.

    Big I-totally-would-have-gone-and-bought-that-vodka-for-you size hugs to you! Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin