A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Friday, February 15, 2008

What's on your Agenda?

What's on your agenda today? Do you ever think about how everyone has their own agenda when they wake up in the morning? We all have things that we want to accomplish in that day. How do we as mothers react when things don't go our way? Do we take it out on the kids or maybe your husband?

As a mother it's our responsibility to bring order to the household. As the old saying goes, "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." My mother used to say that all the time and boy is it ever true today. When I wake up in a grumpy mood it reflects all over the place. My kids get grumpy, my husband gets grumpy, all because I refused to die to myself that morning and put behind me the bad attitude. Ephesians 4:22-24 says "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

It is our nature to be selfish. We are born selfish. But when we accept Christ as Savior we are held to higher standards. To put away that selfish desire. To be like Christ. Do you think Jesus ever woke up saying things like: Ugh! I have to do laundry today or these kids are driving me crazy! I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm not thinking He did.

Becoming a mother for me was very hard. If you looked up selfish in the dictionary it said go see Kim and had a nice mug shot of my face. I've been a mother now for over 14 years and I still stuggle with that desire to have it all about me some days. It's not easy to die to yourself, it's just not. But when you look at the rewards it gives it is well worth it. I had to keep telling myself that each thing you go through is just a season of life and the bible says in Ecclesiastes 3:1, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." I constantly have to keep reminding myself that, because I have a tendency to get wrapped up in something and want to finish it like I have no other responsibilities in the world and when I can't, because I do have other responsibilities I would get upset. There will be time to do all that you want to do someday. Don't miss the here and now with your children and or husband.

It seems the older you get the faster time seems to slip away. Don't miss out on the greatest mission you have, MOTHERHOOD. Your family is your #1 priority, aside from the Lord of course. Not woman's bible studies, not volunteering at church, not tea socials. As fun as all that is it's not investing into your family. You're kids aren't going to wait for you to get done with your busyness to grow up. Before you know it they will be grown and gone. Don't look back someday and say, " I wish I would have ________," You fill in the blank. Now I'm not saying that you have to stay inside your house all day barefoot and pregnant with your hair up in a hankerchief looking worn down and tired. But I am saying to prayerfully seek the Lord before accepting anything that takes you away from the home. Let it be Him that guides you, not your selfish desire.

Dear Lord, I ask you to help us to embrace the task of motherhood. Help us to hold our families in high priority. Guide us each day as we invest our time and efforts into our children. Help us to spark their creativity and interests. Let us love and honor our husbands. Let us be an example of how a mother and wife should be. Give us strength for each day. I ask this in your precious name Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin