A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Open mouth, insert foot!

Have you ever said something and as soon as it came out of your mouth you wish you could take it back? If you answered no I'll give you time to go pray and repent about the lie you just told and come back ha ha. But seriously, when I first married my husband I had a real problem about speaking before thinking. A lot of times it was in the name of fun but it wasn't fun for anyone but me. I'm a bit of a comedian in our household and granted my family loves that but I've learned across the years that you don't want to get a laugh at someone elses expense. I've grown a lot since then and have really become aware of what I say before it comes out. But once in awhile the ugly mouth monster raises its ugly head and something will sneak out before I have a chance to process it and WHAM! Someone gets hurt. Luke 6:45 (New King James Version) says,"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
Can you say ouch? I know that when I am constantly in the word and in prayer those episodes of speaking before thinking are very few because what's in my heart is good. Now you put talk shows, soap operas, sitcoms etc. into your heart and that same stuff is going to reflect in your speech and your attitude. A good verse to meditate on is Psalm 141:3 (New King James Version). It says, "Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips. Once something is said you can never get it back. It's gone. If you're in a situation and you want to lash out or you feel yourself getting angry, it's better to just walk away and say nothing. Don't say something you'll regret later. Retreat for awhile until you can prayerfully seek what the Lord would have you do in that situation. We've all been there, but in case someone is reading this who has never been there, please email me with your secret so I can share it with everyone else . : )
The good thing is our God is a forgiving God. His mercies are new every morning. If you've hurt someone with your words ask them for forgiveness. It doesn't matter if they choose to forgive or not, what's important is that you ask. Matthew 6:14 (New King James Version)says,"For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you." So it's not only right to ask for forgiveness but to also forgive, whether that person has asked you to or not.

Lord, thank you for your mercies that are new every morning. Lord, please help us to guard our hearts and our mouths. May we think before we speak and the words be sweet has honey. Thank you for the strength you give us to overcome. I ask this in your most precious name Jesus. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin