A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday- Cleaning Stained Tea Cups

I have a nice little tip to share with you all today.
Most of you know (well those of you who read my blog) that I recently started collecting tea cups. Up until now the ones that I have gotten have been in excellent condition. But recently I received 2 tea cups and saucers that came from an estate sale in which it looked like the lady must have smoked. Why? Well because the whole top of the saucer was yellow and the cup was yellow on the inside and in spots on the outside. They looked really dingy but I knew there was beauty underneath.
What did I use to clean it?
Baking soda, a little water and my fingers.
I just mixed it up to a thick paste and rubbed it all over the cup and saucer until the yellow was gone.

Here are some before and after pictures.
In the picture below I had already cleaned the saucer but you can see in comparison with the cup (that I didn't do) how clean and white it came after I cleaned it.

And the after. See the difference in the cup? It came so clean.
Here's the front of the cup! I believe it's hand painted and it's numbered so maybe it's worth something. ~LOL~ Not that it matters. I'm just going to have tea parties with it! But maybe the tea will taste better if it's worth more money! Hey it's a theory.
I did another tea cup as well but the pictures didn't come out as well so I won't bother showing you. But it came out just as pretty and white as this one. I'm so happy that the baking soda trick worked.
In other words, don't judge a book by it's cover because something beautiful may lie beneath!

Well that is what's working for me this week. What's working for you?
Head on over to We are that Family to see what's working for everybody else!

HUGS!

24 comments:

  1. Very cool! The baking soda was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow; amazing what a little baking soda can do. Thanks for the tip and love that tea cup. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, thanks for your sweet comment over at my Laced with Grace post.

    Loved my visit here. Your blog is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking soda is great! The cup and saucer look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip! I have heard that many things can be cleaned with baking soda, so I need to try using it more around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoot Whoot...what a neat little trick! I will have to try that one for sure!

    Glad I have you backing away from laundry, we did not need it anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cleaning tip! And that cup and saucer are so pretty and sweet. I think I would automatically raise my pinkie if I was sipping from it, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome idea, my friend. It's official...you are brilliant!

    Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome! I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job my friend! That's really pretty...What kind of bird is it? It looks like a partridge?
    Pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. TEA PARTY! When should I expect my invitation? :)

    I collect teacups as well. They are just so beautifully different but the same.

    smooches,
    Larie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's an awesome idea! I'll have to remember that. I have used baking soda and water to clean several things (including rust when I add vinegar to it) but have tried that one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tip! We use baking soda to clean pots & pans too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very helpful tip. I always thought they were suppose to be that color. ;) J/K You're so cute. I love your sense of humor. I certainly hope to meet up with you someday. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kim,

    Baking soda seems to be the wonder cleaner for just about everything. No wonder why people spend so much money for name brand cleaners when a little Arm & Hammer goes a lot longer and for a whole lot less.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow that looks great! glad you were able to find something that worked because that is really a beautiful cup!

    thanks for the tip!

    love ya

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great tip my friend!! I will have to try it since some of my teacups belonged to my great aunts and have tea stains inside.

    Love that cup and saucer - SO pretty!!

    Big you're-a-cleaning-genius hugs to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Baking soda and vinegar are my cleaning friends. If you are ever interested in making your own home cleaning products that really work and are super cheap, get the book called, "Clean House, Clean Planet". It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is great! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Impressive results! Who knew?


    :)

    Come by and visit me over at Free 2 Be Frugal!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a great tip!! I am going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great solution! I collect tea cups and tea pots, too. If you go to the following post, you'll see the tea-cup wreath my mom made me. It also had sterling silver sugar spoons on it: http://bluecottonmemory.wordpress.com/2009/08/07/get-your-mitts-off-my-moms-health-care/

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin