A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

For the Love of Used Furniture

As I was working on yet another painting project, my hubby and I were talking about how much used furniture we’ve gotten off of Craigslist. I don’t know what we did before Craigslist came into our lives. LOL! I think we went to a whole lot more garage sales. But what a time saver it is to be able to just look online, in your area, for what you need.

I was actually going to show you everything that we’ve purchased off of Craigslist but I would have been uploading pictures all night. Plus if you’ve been to my blog enough you’ve probably already seen them. But here’s a run down.

5 Hutches (Yes, five! What?)

Matching couch, chair and ottoman

Dining room table and 4 chairs

2 office desks

Beautiful wooden rocking chair

Bookshelf

TV stand

2 Cabinets for laundry room

Bakers rack

and the latest addition, 2 bedside tables.

IMG_1433 IMG_1434

I would estimate that we paid around $1300.00 for all the above furniture over the past few years of accumulating it. You can barely buy a brand new dining set for that these days. So I’d say we did pretty good. It’s totally worth the wait and shopping around. Most of the time the furniture needs a little love but we aren’t afraid to do that so you can get a great deal in those instances. We’ve also sold a lot of things on Craigslist so in the end it kind of evens out.

Then there is the furniture that was given to us free of charge. You gotta love that.

When we first got married, my parents gave us their old living room furniture and dining room table. It was a great start for us because we didn’t have a lot of money. We no longer have those now though.

Boys bedroom furniture (from friends, still have)

Daughter’s black dresser (from a friend, still have)

Little telephone stand (from a friend, still have)

Leather sofa (from friends, still have)

I’m pretty sure that the only thing we ever bought brand new was our bedroom furniture (after many years of using my childhood furniture) and the recliner my hubby bought me when I was pregnant with our 3rd.

And don’t get me started on thrift stores! We’d be here all day. But I’m pretty good about showing you my little treasures as I get them.

So my point is, shop around, take your time and you’ll save a lot of money when you need to buy furniture.

Have a THRIFTY day my friends!

 

10 comments:

  1. Wow! You definitely have gotten full use out of Craig's List! We have gotten several items, but not to that extent. We've done more giving on Craig's list. I'm so thankful for all that was given to us, when we were first married as all we had was dh's waterbed. What a blessing!

    Have a great day! :)
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think I need to check out Craig's list more often! You got some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this!! You always turn whatever you purchase into awesomeness!! I am thinking I need to look on there for a new dining room table and sell the one I have that just does not go in there. I traded my mom my treadmill for her table which was undoubtedly the STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER DONE!! Great deal for her though ;) So thanks for the tip :)

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING!! The craigs list in our area never has anything like all of your wonderful finds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Teach me your ways, oh craig's list-garage-sale-thrift-store guru!
    Peace and blessings to your day!
    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is thrifty! Awesome job:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You rock the Craig's List my friend!! I love looking through and finding all sorts of *wants*, but as they're usually not needs, we don't purchase too much. We did get a bench, a hutch, and my son's desk from the list though.

    And our piano was used from a piano store (they received it in trade) and one of our couch and love seat sets were marked way down at a consignment store. My son's bed was free as it was my childhood bed - my Dad built it from lodgepole pine - very cool! Other than little thrift store stuff, I guess the rest of our stuff was new. Oh we did get our first hutch from e-bay (drove and picked it up so no shipping).

    Big have-you-used-freecycle-because-you-would-be-the-one-to-find-some-great-stuff-on-there size hugs to you! Have a lovely evening! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome! I'm going to have to check out Craig's List. Our son is getting married in July, and they are going to need some furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We haven't bought a lot of things off of Craigslist.. YET.. but I see us doing it in the near future!

    Great job with all that savings!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin