A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving Menu 2012! For My Own Sanity!

I need to do this for my own sanity because I keep asking everyone else what I’m making for Thanksgiving and I think it’s making them a bit nervous. So with that said, here’s what I think I’m making for Thanksgiving.

I like to try out new recipes on a major holiday with people coming over because I enjoy the stress of not knowing if it’s going to turn out yummy or not. I’m good like that.

DINNER:

Brined Roasted Turkey (I brined for the first time last year and it was delicious.)

Sweet Potato Casserole (New Recipe)

Over the Top Mashed Potatoes

Creamed Corn

Slow Cooker Herbed Stuffing (Made GF)

DESSERT:

Chocolate Cream Pie (New Recipe)

Apple Crisp (New Recipe)

Pumpkin Pies (My BFF is bringing those)

Mystery Dessert (Made by another friend)

Traditional Turkey Brine
1 -2 Tablespoons of each:
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Celery seed, ground
Sage
Thyme
Fresh ground black pepper

First Make The Basic Brine:
Dissolve 1 cup table salt or 2 cups kosher salt in 2 gallons cold water in a large stockpot or clean bucket. Your pot or bucket must hold 6-8 gallons so that you can immerse the turkey. After you add the flavors, brine the turkey for 12-24 hours. I do about 36 hours. But I’m a rebel without a cause.

I’ll let you know how those new desserts turn out. If they don’t have a line through them, then they’re a keeper.

HUGS!

Kim

6 comments:

  1. It all sounds delicious! I hope that you and your family have a grand Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you...I love trying out new recipes when I have company! My husband thinks I'm crazy. ;) This year I'm making cornish hens instead of turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rofl!! You are a ham and a turkey at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! I just finally posted my menu too. You really are trying several new things this year - fun!!

    Big I-wish-you-a-lovely-time-of-feasting-and-fellowship size hugs to you!! Happy Thanksgiving my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...everyone should have a "mystery dessert"... it keeps things exciting! ;)

    I'm looking forward to all your yummy dishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! I am too chicken to brine my own turkey, so thankfully Trader Joes has already done the work for me! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin