Well if the title didn’t lure you in I don’t know what would have, because fun follows Kale where ever it goes. Right? Yeeeeeah….let’s just move on shall we?
Last week I saw they had organic kale at my local grocery store so I decided to buy a bag. If you’ve ever bought a bag of kale before, you know that one bag goes a long way.
With that being said, I started to get a little creative with my bag of kale. And since I didn’t want to keep the fun all to myself, I thought I would share a few of the “fun” ways I used it this past week. Because I know that cooking with Kale is your idea of “fun” too. AND just so you know, one bag covered all of the first 4 recipes.
1. Kale and Egg Scramble: Sauté a handful of kale with a 1/4 of chopped onion and 1/4 cup of chopped bell pepper in butter until kale reduces in size and onions and peppers are cooked through. Put two slightly whipped eggs in with the veggie mixture and cook to how you like it. Add a little salt and pepper and you’re done. So yummy and so good for you!
2. Roasted Kale, Brussels Sprouts and Onions- Cut your brussels sprouts (home grown is best) in half and place in large bowl. Throw in 2 big handfuls of kale and 1 chunky cut onion. Mix with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Spread out on one or two cookie sheets and bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes or until done. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Kale and Mushroom Stroganoff- This is only good if you like mushrooms, which I do, which is why I made it. Three out of five of my family love mushrooms. So 3 of us REALLY liked this and the other 2 tolerated it. But if you’re super cool and like mushrooms this is a great vegetarian dish.
4. Black Bean and Kale Burgers- Basically I took my favorite Black Bean Burger Recipe and threw in a handful of kale while in the food processor. I admit, this made the burgers turn a little green but they still tasted good. Really. Don’t skimp on putting smooshed avocados on top. It ups the YUMMO factor!
5. Let’s not forget Kale Chips. I’ve made these in the past with great success. The kids love them which is a bonus.
Well there you have it. Have I convinced you to try Kale? If you’ve tried it before, what’s your favorite way to eat it? Do tell.