A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Teddy Bear Turned Chickie Momma!

A couple of days ago we brought home 5 more chicks to add to our chicken family. Two Buff Orpingtons and 3 Road Island Reds.

They are just so cute to watch. Only a little over a week old and they are already scratching and pecking, not to mention pooping all over the place.

IMG_9762 IMG_9760

But last night, as we were getting ready for bed my hubby noticed that they seemed a little distressed. They were chirping very loudly and not settling down like they should be. Then it dawned on him (not me because I’m clueless about that stuff) that they were probably missing their Momma.

This was confirmed by watching them for a little while. They would try to get underneath each other for comfort but none of them of course were big enough to handle that responsibility. That’s when my hubbalicious had an ingenious idea.

He suggested we put a stuffed animal in there to act as a stand in Momma. My daughter was happy to oblige with one of her old teddy bears and the rest is history. As soon as we put the teddy bear in there they snuggled up underneath it and went right to sleep.

Can I get a big Awwwww…..! Yeah, it was pretty darn cute.

I didn’t get a picture of them last night but here they are this morning huddled around it. IMG_9763

 I took it out for now so they would have more room to run around in but you can be sure that Momma Bear will be back in there tonight.

Have a fabulous day my friends.

XOXO,

Kim

5 comments:

  1. Aww. How cute is that!!!
    What a great idea!!
    Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable, LOL! And your hubby is one smart dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Such a genius idea to use a stuffy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would ever have known a teddy bear could be a surrogate momma to a baby chicken?! Not I, that's for sure! I would never have thought of doing that. Two thumbs up for such an ingenious idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute!! I told my friend about it {she's had chickens for 14 yrs & I buy eggs from her} and she thought it was the most adorable thing ever!! She said you needed to tape it and post it on youtube.

    Big have-you-hugged-a-teddy-bear-lately-'cause-there-is-just-something-special-about-it size hugs to you! Love ya! Look at me - caught up on comments - woo hoo!!! :) I don't know why I get so behind. I do read all your posts in my reader though, so I'm keepin' up with you.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin