A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Hurricane Irma

Well, we survived yet another hurricane. My hubby and I were talking about it and we’ve been through 9 hurricanes together. They ranged from Cat 1-4. 

There is a lot of physical prep that goes on before a hurricane but it’s the mental stress that wears me out. It takes days after it’s long gone for me to feel “normal” again, to sleep through the night again. It’s exhausting.

Usually after a hurricane we are the last to get power. We just set ourselves up for at least 3 days without power but have gone as long as 3 weeks. It’s not fun. Life isn’t normal. It’s hard and draining. But we survive. It’s what Floridians do. It’s the price we pay for living here, but I still wouldn’t want to live any where else. But this time we got our power back in less then 24 hours of losing it. Excited is an understatement.

Our daughter, her husband and their two kids (my precious grands) came to stay with us during Irma. My MIL also came. She lives in a single wide trailer on the beachside so that was a no brainer.

I can’t even describe the sound the wind makes when it’s barreling down on your home. It’s scary. Then add the fact that most of the hurricanes we’ve gotten came late at night or early in the morning when you can’t see anything makes it even more nerve wracking. But the Lord protected us and saw us through it and we are grateful.

We had no damage to our home. Yay! Our yard on the other hand looked as if we ticked off a landscaper and they sought revenge with a chainsaw. SmileMy MIL also had minimal damage.

This maple tree limb would have crushed my sons truck had we not moved it from this spot.

Irma Maple branch

My parents place didn’t fair so well. They lost their whole porch off the back of their double wide. Sad smile And if you look hard you can see that a piece of it would have gone through the window had we not boarded it up. (and by we I mean my hubby and SIL). The screen door didn’t fair so well. There is literally pieces of their porch EVERYWHERE. The side yard, the front yard, the road, the neighbors yard. EVERYWHERE!  Thank goodness they were in Maine and didn’t have to worry about their safety.

Irma porch

Here’s a couple of videos I took coming home from Mom’s house. It gives you just a glimpse of the aftermath. Trust me other places got it much worse.

I think this may be the first time a hurricane has affected so much of our state all at once. Millions are still without power. Over 5.6 million people evacuated. Gas stations out of gas, grocery stores out of food, Home Depot and Lowe's out of generators. It was crazy. Life won’t be “normal” for awhile. But just like in Texas with Hurricane Harvey, a tragedy like this brings out the best in people. People helping people. Don’t get me wrong you still get the low lifes that take advantage of this and loot businesses and evacuated homes but for the most part people are just loving on each other and that makes my heart happy.

If you pray, please say a prayer for our fine state.

LOVE and HUGS!
Kim

1 comment:

  1. So glad for the update. I was wondering how you guys did. It's amazing to me how smooth things went with Hurricane Irma, considering what everyone thought was going to happen. I believe so many people were praying that the Lord calmed the storm.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin