A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Shhh!! Don't tell them!

My flowers think it's spring. It's funny because we have actually had one of the coldest winters here in Florida. It dipped down into the 20's a few nights this year which is unusual, at least for this east coast town. But through it all these particular flowers have been a constant joy in my day. I could just look outside and it's like they are smiling at me. For those of you who don't know. I love flowers! They bring me such joy and to have some that just continue to bloom no matter what the weather, has been a great find. What kind of flowers are they? They are my geraniums. I have 4 of them in different colors, although two of them are very similar. They have just blown me away with their ability to bloom all year round. For their reward I'm going to Wal-mart to buy them some yummy fertilizer.
I just thought I'd share a few pictures of my pretty flowers. I know a lot of you can't even see your ground yet so maybe this will give you a glimpse of what's to come soon.
I really really like this one. It's my favorite. I love all the pink hues.

The next two are very similar but I think this one is a bit more red and the one beneath is more pinkish.This little guy below is actually on a huge Citronella Geranium. They are supposed to ward of mosquitoes. I'll believe it when I see it . We planted this last year after mosquito season. Yes we actually have a mosquito season and it lasts a LONG time. So I hope these wonderful plants help.
I've saved the best for last. This little guy has brought me so much pleasure. I know you will feel it too when you see it. It's like nothing you've ever seen.Doesn't it just warm your heart? LOL! I just wanted to make sure that you knew that not EVERY flower made it through the winter looking like a prize winner. I think I need some product for that one! Ha! Ha!
Not pictured are our 4 hibiscus's that also produced all year long. We have yellow, peach and red in those and they are beautiful as well.
So if you've ever tried to plant flowers and failed give geraniums a try. If I can keep them alive (with little to no effort), I know you can.
In a month or two I'll make my short trek to Wal-Mart to buy my spring crop! I can't wait. I love walking through the garden section with all the different varieties. Does anyone else enjoy flowers as much as me? My husband knows my love for flowers and he has given me either a dozen roses or a bunch of wildflowers every month since we've been married. He buys them off a vendor on the side of the road and it's been the same guy for 13 years so he cuts him quite a deal. So I suggest supporting your local side of the road flower vendor. They have great prices and the flowers are beautiful. They last about two weeks, so each month I have fresh flowers for at least two weeks of it. That was a small plug for my most excellent husband and our local flower vendor LOL. I don't talk near enough about him (my husband not the vendor). But he is wonderful!!
Big Hugs everyone!!!

17 comments:

  1. Good morning.
    LOL. That last picture looks A LOT like all of our flowers. My DH didn't think it would be that bad awhile back and we didn't cover. I don't think we lost a lot but boy do they look pitiful.

    Another another note. Don't be afraid to do the friendship bread. If your circle of friends haven't been doing it - then you'd probably have plenty of people to share with. It is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you entered the give-away-it looks so cool-I'm excited to share it!
    Pretty pictures! I LOVE flowers too! I love taking pictures of them also-they are just so delicate, vibrant an beautiful!
    My husband's fam, being from Laos, has sold veges at the flea market since they've been in the states-similar to what they did in Laos. Anyway, I often go to the market to help her sell the veges and for a while, my hubby and I would sell roses at her stand. Every week we had such beautiful roses in our home! Good times!
    There's something beautiful about wildflowers and their array of colors on the sides of the road. Our favorite is the Stargazer Lilly. We don't purchase flowers as often now-maybe still once a month, but have several paintings of bright flowers on our walls:) Sorry for the longer comment-YES we love flowers and I could write more:) Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful geraniums! I love them too for our large flowerpots near the front porch. We keep the old blooms picked off, but they need very little care beyond that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO LOVELY. THE COLOR IS JUST BEAUTIFUL. I'M SURE IT IS NICE TO HAVE THEM BLOOMING.

    HUGS FROM MAINE

    http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kimmy,

    I love love love flowers! They bring me such joy! Jay always brings me flowers too!!! Yours are beautiful!

    Love you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those flowers are gorgeous and I am so jealous, because we haven't seen flowers in months. WAAAHHH
    (hugs)
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawg! About the only thing that isn't brown up here is my beautiful little hog plum grove. My dogwood is always a late bloomer, prob'ly coz we're in the coldest spot in the area. I'm a little jealous of your hibiscus. Ours freezes to the ground every winter. 8-{

    Be blessed, sweet thang!
    Have a JESUS-filled day! ^i^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flowers are so pretty my friend! I'm so glad you're sharing them! Aaaahhh...Spring! You should link this post up to The Inspired Room - the second post down is about Spring and she has people linking up there all week for Spring inspiration.

    You really threw me off today! I was thinking, who is this real me chick and why is she stealing the way we talk about hugs - LOL!!

    Big floral HUGS to you (which really are better than oatmeal ones)!!

    Have a lovely day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, I can't wait for my flowers to bloom!! I miss them! Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beeeeyoutiful! I love them! Our Bradford Pear has bloomed and my volunteers are coming up. I didn't plant them but there are daffodils and morning glories in the front yard. I love it! So good to visit with you again, my friend. I missed you while I was sick. I'm sorry for not keeping in touch. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful!! I am soooo itching for spring right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your flowers are gorgeous! It's making me have even more spring fever looking at the pictures of them. I cannot get enough of seed catalogs right now....spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No fair......... I'm tired of looking at snow covered dormant shrubs and dehydrated lifeless perennials.

    You got it going on girlfriend, but I will not covet. I'm not gonna go there.... at least at this moment.


    That garlic with honey remedy that helped you through your misery could be just the very perk for your not so green potted friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here in Indiana, we have a while yet to wait. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures! I really can't wait to get out and play in the dirt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous flowers! We need to go get some...and fast! It would be very beneficial to bring a bit of spring to our home as well!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful flowers! I can't wait for spring! :D

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin