A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Gluten Free Carrot Cake!

IMG_9682

I’ve made a similar carrot cake in the past using agave as the sweetener and using white wheat flour. You can find that version here if you are not worried about gluten.

But since we’ve had to go gluten free I’ve slowly been adapting my recipes to fit our needs and when they are worthy, I put them on here to share with you all. This one was worthy.

I made this particular version yesterday for my Mom’s belated birthday. It came out delicious. A lot of you know that I gave up eating regular sugar and have found wonderful alternatives for making my goodies. Feel free to use whatever sugar you prefer.

GLUTEN FREE CARROT CAKE

Ingredients:
1 cup coconut sugar
1 cup coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cup brown rice flour + 1/2 cup starch of choice (either arrowroot, potato or corn)                                                                                       
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt                                                                                              
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
5 medium carrots, shredded (about 2-3 cups)
1 cup finely chopped walnuts (1/4 reserved)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom and sides of a 13 x 9 inch pan. Mix the coconut sugar, coconut oil, and eggs in a large bowl until well blended. About 1 minute. Stir in dry ingredients. Mix until well blended. Fold in carrots and walnuts. Mixture will be thick.
Pour into pan.
Bake for 35-40 mins.

Healthier Cream Cheese Glaze/Frosting

1 8oz. block of cream cheese, room temp.

3-4 TBS. of Honey

1 TBS. milk (I used coconut milk)

Mix on high speed until creamy and smooth. Pour over cake and smooth over top; then sprinkle remaining nuts on top.

ENJOY!

 

1 comment:

  1. Kim, I so appreciate your sharing your g.f. recipes with us; I do try to avoid cakes(I struggle with gaining weight easily)but love having recipes for when we have family gatherings.
    Hugs today.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin