A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Homegrown Pineapple!

Update: Here’s my tutorial on growing your own pineapple.

Today I cut into our homegrown pineapple. If you’ve never tasted fresh pineapple then you don’t know what you’re missing. There is no comparison to store bought or canned pineapple. It’s simply THE best.

The hard part is waiting patiently for it to ripen. Critters know when it’s ripe too and sometimes they will get to it before you do so you have to watch it carefully. My BFF Kathy had two of hers get half eaten before she was able to pick them. It’s sad because they take so long to grow and then to not have anything to show for it can be annoying. Very annoying!

Waiting to ripen But there are ways to protect it somewhat. You can put chicken wire around it or something of the sort in order to keep critters like raccoons or opossums and such from getting to them.

We just picked this one the other day. It smelled soooo good but still had a couple days left to ripen.

Just picked

A couple days went by and today I cut it into these delicious golden chunks of sweetness. Oh they were soooo good. So good!

Yummy goodness

If you live in the South they are sooo easy to grow. All you have to do is cut the crown off, set it in a bowl with water and let it rot for a couple weeks. Yes, I said rot. The lower part will start to rot and then you just bury that part in the ground and you’re done. They like sandy soil and heat so these probably don’t do well in colder climates.

I’ll do an update post when this one is ready to go in the ground. *smile*

IMG_6117

Have you ever grown a pineapple? Do you live in an area where you can try growing one? Give it a shot, you’ll be glad you did.

Have a lovely day my friends.

OXOX,

Kim

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if we could grow pineapple here?? I might just have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! How long does it take to grow one from little top thingie to ripe fruit? Just curious.

    I just spent the morning doing pears. They are more work than I remember them being when I helped core and peal them as a kid. But, I'm hoping my guys will like the treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had fresh pineapple when we went to Jamaica years and years ago. It is so sweet! Our soil sure isn't sandy around here, and we have a ton of critters coming up from the woods. So I won't even attempt trying to grow it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool that you can grow pineapple! I don't think there's even a chance that it can grow here.

    Big we've-barely-managed-to-grow-anything-here-other-than-a-handful-of-peppers-and-5-marble-size-tomatoes-LOL size hugs to you!! Love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment. Thank you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin